On Aug 13, 1:30 pm, Brian Hurt <bhur...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm just wondering what people's response would be to allow user-generated
> reader macros. [...]

I think you could get most of the benefits for DSL's by using regular
strings, except that regular strings have quoting issues:

  (my-dsl-macro "Here is my string, but I have to escape \"
characters, which is unpleasant")

A single "super quoted" string reader would avoid this problem.
Instead of defining a new read syntax like:

  #my-syntax(your DSL goes between here and here)

Clojure could provide a general purpose string creating read syntax.
Something like #"...

  (my-dsl-macro #"///Here is a specially quoted string, and I can put
anything besides three slashes in it///)

  (my-dsl-macro #"--- In this case, I can type anything except three
dashes---)

  (pretend-this-one-is-apl #"///X[⍋X+.≠' ';]///)

They're just plain old macros, so namespaces would be resolve as they
do now.

Just a thought...