On Aug 12, 1:30 am, Nicolas Oury <nicolas.o...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Next laziness was thought to be too slow to be practical, and now
> someone used ghc in this thread as an example of fast language.

There is a lot of misinformed people (and fanboys who are not
misinformed but willing to "exaggerate", putting it charitably)
Haskell is a cool language, but its (GHC) performance sucks, until you
start practically writing semi-assembly with it (forget laziness and
memory safety). Look at the CODE in the Shootout, not the summary.

> What is sure is that there is no reason why clojure should be slow, when
> some functional languages (including dynamically typed ones) are fast.

That's true in some very general sense (if you are not married to a
particular VM, which Clojure actually is). For example, my
implementation of the N-Body benchmark is right now the fastest pure-
functional and non-type declaring one, and it's 53 times slower than
Java. On the other hand, Erlang's code is also all of these things,
but 8 times faster. In fact, it's faster than Andy's Java-in-Clojure
version #8 (which was 10 times slower than Java).

P.S. The moderators (Chouser) are now censoring my posts, so if you
don't see this message on the list as well, I wrote something they
want to suppress.