On Aug 16, 2009, at 7:12 PM, Ollie Saunders wrote:

> I've been learning Clojure for about 5 or so days (I'm osaunders on
> the channel) now and I'm liking it a lot. However, the lack of
> structure of http://clojure.org/api is hampering my learning a bit. I
> wonder other people think it might be a nice idea to organise the
> functions into something more structured with each function having
> it's own page complete with: forms, basic description, remarks,
> examples, and importantly (for me) related functions.
>
> I wouldn't mind doing a bit of work here and there in a wiki to make
> that happen. I'm sure with a number of contributors the basic
> functions could be covered quite quickly and over the weeks and months
> it could unfurl into a rather nice language reference.

+10 on this.  One of the nicest things about Common Lisp is the
hyperspec, insofar as it is a comprehensive, nicely cross-referenced
body of documentation.  Clojure would benefit greatly from something
analogous, especially if each piece of documentation (e.g. a page per
fn, a page per fn category, etc) could link off to related utilities,
either in the stdlib, contrib, or third-party libraries on github,
etc.  Mix in some slick discovery UI along the lines of
<http://clj-doc.s3.amazonaws.com/tmp/doc-1116/index.html
 >, and that's a resource everyone could love.

One thing I'd hope is that all this documentation be centralized
somewhere, with very open policies in place to allow almost anyone to
contribute documentation from their own libraries, place annotations
on stdlib pages detailing how they use various fns, etc.  Things like
this usually reach a critical mass of quality and usefulness when
they're a focal point for all such efforts.

> On Aug 16, 2009, at 8:52 PM, Mark Volkmann wrote:
>
>> I took a shot at it at
>> http://ociweb.com/mark/clojure/ClojureCategorized.html. Suggestions
>> for changes to this are welcomed. Also check out
>> http://ociweb.com/mark/clojure/article.html.

Indeed, Mark, there's a ton of great material there -- I know I
benefitted from it a number of times.  I hope you'll consider
contributing all or parts of it to whatever central resource develops.

Cheers,

- Chas