Hey folks,

clojure.contrib.str-utils is one of the first libs I wrote, and it's
showing its age.  I decided to try to start fresh, incorporating some
ideas discussed on the list.  In general, I'm trying to provide an
efficient, functional API for string manipulation.

My new attempt is creatively named clojure.contrib.str-utils2.

One big change: you can't (use ...) it.  That's because it reuses some
of the names in clojure.core.  For example, it defines "take" and
"drop" specifically for strings.
You have to (require '[clojure.contrib.str-utils :as s]) then call
functions like s/take, s/drop.  If everybody hates this, I'll change
it, but it would require adding prefixes on a bunch of functions.

Many of these functions are much faster than the equivalent using
sequences.  For example, str-utils2/escape is 5-10 times faster than
(apply str (map f "foo"))

Eventually, I'd like to replace the old clojure.contrib.str-utils.
Let me know what you think.

-Stuart Sierra