On Aug 30, 2:24 am, Dan Fichter <daniel.fich...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The Clojure version is more concise and radically safer but a little more
> conceptually packed.  Is it worth your trouble?

Being primarily a Python programmer, I can say that the first thing my
co-workers would say is that Clojure isn't as readable as Python is.
And I think that there's some validity to this.  Python is (in my
opinion) one of the most readable languages ever invented.

For example, consider these two snippets:

[Clojure]
(if x
  (foo y)
  (bar y))

[Python]
if x:
  foo(y)
else:
  bar(y)

The Python version reads like english whereas the Clojure version
doesn't.  Now, I'm sure that there are plenty of people here that will
find the Clojure version more readable, but that's not really the
point.  Your co-workers are likely to lean more towards my way of
thinking than they are to theirs.

One thing that was really eye-opening to me was Paul Graham's
statement that in writing on Lisp, you're literally writing the
language before you write the program.  The implication to me was that
if Lisp isn't readable, it's your fault.  :-)

So here's what I would do. I would say something more along the lines
of "Here's the Python version and here's the Clojure version.  The
Clojure version has the following advantages... BUT if you're still
attached to the Python version, here's how you can write the Python
version in Lisp."  Granted, I don't know if this is possible most of
the time, but surely there are a few cases where this would be easy to
do.  To me, this is a much better approach than trying to say
"Clojure's going to force you to think in a totally different way."