On Sun, Aug 30, 2009 at 9:31 AM, Jason Baker <amnorv...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Aug 30, 2:24 am, Dan Fichter <daniel.fich...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > The Clojure version is more concise and radically safer but a little more
> > conceptually packed.  Is it worth your trouble?
>
> Being primarily a Python programmer, I can say that the first thing my
> co-workers would say is that Clojure isn't as readable as Python is.

Any language you are familiar and comfortable with is going to seem much
more readable and much more intuitive than a language you are unfamiliar
with.  Even similarity to English presupposes a familiarity with and comfort
with English- something most people on this planet don't have.  A native
English speaker would find a programming language whose syntax was based on,
say, Mandarin or Swahili, very "unintuitive".

The point here is that arguing in favor of a new language on the basis of
intuitiveness and readability is a losing argument.

Instead, I'd concentrate on the advantages Clojure has- things like
incredibly good parallelism capabilities, tight integration with Java (for
example, can you extend Lucene's HitCollector abstract base class to
implement your own hit collector in Jython?  This is an honest question- I
really don't know), etc.

Brian