Konrad Hinsen <konrad.hin...@fastmail.net> writes:

> On 8 Sep 2009, at 02:36, Phil Hagelberg wrote:
>> However, now that clojure-mode has the M-x clojure-install command
>> that sets up SLIME etc, I don't know if the built-in subprocess
>> features are worth keeping around any more. Personally I have never
>> used them or heard of anyone using them; I wonder if they are just
>> legacy baggage.
>>
>> Would anyone be opposed to their removal?
>
> Until now I have never even looked at SLIME, considering the number of
> difficulties I see reported by lots of people. Life is too short to
> waste on configuration problems... and in that category I am still
> busy dealing with Clojure's move to github. I still use clojure-mode
> with its basic interaction commands for all my Clojure hacking.

Most of these are caused by people manually installing SLIME rather than
using M-x clojure-install. I would rather focus on having one method of
subprocess interaction so we can make that work as smoothly as possible
than keep this vestigal functionality in here that only a handful of
people use.

> On the other hand, if SLIME installation is painless now, that would
> be fine with me as well.

Please give it a try and let me know if you have any problems. M-x
clojure-install should pull in everything you need, including its own
copy of Clojure 1.0.

> Clojure-update is a sensible complement to clojure-install, I'd
> strongly vote for keeping it.

I think the value-add here is pretty minimal. Before Clojure 1.0 if a
change in Clojure broke swank-clojure, we'd have to scramble to get it
fixed in swank-clojure, and everyone would update. But now that there's
a stable target, I haven't been tracking master closely, so staying
up-to-date is much less important.

Plus it's just a wrapper around a handful of shell commands.  If more
people use it I may keep it around, otherwise I'd suggest switching over
to a shell script.

-Phil