> I do plan to add a feature so that it loads all jars from a lib directory

This is a nice feature!

> I don't know anything about maven

I'm brand new to maven, but let me introduce some advantages if maven
were used. Take
http://github.com/ngocdaothanh/telchat-clojure
as an example:
* Run "mvn compile" and all needed .jar files are automatically
downloaded, then .java files are compiled
* Run "mvn clojure:run" to start, clojure-maven-plugin will
automatically load all dependency .jar files as specified in pom.xml
(this file is very short, have a look at it)
* To load "all jars from a lib directory", you don't have to manually
download and copy .jar files, you only have add a <dependency> to
pom.xml.

The "manually download .jar files" job may become very hard and time
consuming if library A needs library B, C, D etc., you have to go
everywhere to collect all .jar files yourselve. To add a <dependency>,
in most cases all you have to do is go to mvnrepository.com and
search.

CPAN brings convention to Perl, RubyGem brings convention to Ruby.
This kind of convention can make Clojure move forward faster. Maven
can do it, as long as we community make a consensus to give it a
chance. The point of using Clojure instead of other Lisps is that you
can use too many existing Java things right away. Then why not use
Maven right away?