On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 06:37:18PM +0000, Jim Downing wrote:

>I might have misunderstood, but isn't the problem the same as in Java;
>you can't know from a static analysis which classes are going to be
>loaded?

Except that Clojure will load all of them so it can bind them to the
vars in each namespace.  Java code is usually much less dynamic, and
makes some static analysis a lot easier.

JVMs are pretty good about not loading classes until they are used, so
I think the real problem is that the init code for each namespace
loads all of the classes before it does anything.  If that could be
delayed, I suspect most of the startup delay would go away.  The trick
is figuring out how to do this without adding yet another level of
indirection to vars.

David