On Sat, Nov 21, 2009 at 11:14:52PM -0500, John Harrop wrote:

>1 second instead of 1/6 of a second. Yeah, like users will notice that
>difference in startup times. :)

I'm not actually complaining, but I do notice every single time I fire
up a REPL.  The more code that you have, the longer it takes.  It's
basically completely thwarting the JVM's attempt to lazily load
classes.

I have the same complaint about JRuby and Scala.  Scala cheats a
little, and their REPL prints a prompt before actually loading the
classes.

Honestly, I think it's a reasonable penalty to pay for a system that
is both dynamic and very fast.

David