Hi,

On Nov 27, 2:45 pm, Stefan Kamphausen <ska2...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> A *new* symbol?   I would have thought I'm getting the original symbol
> again.

If you get back the original symbol back, it can't carry metadata...

> Definitely, and I don't like the distinction too much either.

But it makes sense. A Var represents an identity and hence always
stays the same. Just the thing it points to might change. So we
obviously need to modify the Var in order to change the meta. If we'd
get a new Var, we would have a new identity. Clojure makes the
distinction between such side-effecting functions and pure functions
very clear.

> It does.  I get a growing feeling of understanding how things work
> under the hood here.

Watch the talk be Rich:
http://www.infoq.com/presentations/Are-We-There-Yet-Rich-Hickey

There he explains the different notions and why they are required.

Sincerely
Meikel