On Dec 1, 2:42 am, Rich Hickey <richhic...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have done a lot of work on performance, and refined the design. The
> big news is that you can now directly implement a protocol inside a
> deftype, and you can also reify protocols. This cements protocols as
> the superior way to model the things for which they are suitable,
> since they can match the performance of interfaces without their
> limitations.

First of all, I think this is a wonderful addition to the language.
I've tried what is in the "new" branch on a small but real example,
and I am quite happy with it: So thanks!

Could you go into more detail about how protocols and datatypes are
actually implemented, and the performance improvements you've recently
made? (probably I'm not the only one interested :-)

What is generated when I define a protocol, datatype and extend the
type to the protocol?

As I understand the performance of calling a protocol function matches
the performance of calling an interface method in Java. How is it
possible to achieve this in combination with the dynamic extensibility
of extend?

/Karl