On Wed, Dec 02, 2009 at 02:01:36PM -0800, Johann Hibschman wrote:

>There is a qualitative difference between the runs, though. I can run
>test-split-3 five times in a row, all with similar times, without
>having the java process size get bigger than 0.6 GB. When I run any of
>the others, the size quickly balloons up to something more like 8.5
>GB.

How much memory do you have on your machine.  A recent Sun JVM on a
machine with a bunch of memory will consider it to be a "server"
machine.  It will set the heap max to 1/4 of total physical memory
(which suggests you might have 16GB of RAM).

You can tune the max with -Xmx1G for example, to limit it to one GB.

The actual interaction with the GC can be hard to predict, and Sun's
GC seems to like to sometimes use as much memory as it has been given.

If you're running JDK 6, you can run the virtualvm, or jconsole to get
a better handle on the memory usage, and even dig into what it might
used for.

David