On Dec 2, 9:59 pm, Johann Hibschman <joha...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Dec 2, 9:09 pm, David Brown <cloj...@davidb.org> wrote:
>
> > You can tune the max with -Xmx1G for example, to limit it to one GB.
>
> That's a good idea; then I'll know for sure if it's keeping a handle
> to the entire file.

Ok, that's a relief.

First of all, -Xmx1G isn't legal, at least for java 1.6; I had to
specify -Xmx1024m. Second, once I did that, the memory use of the
obvious parallel version, (reduce + (pmap ...)), remained within
reason. Clojure is good, everything is happy, fuzzy bunnies and
kittens frolic with abandon.

So, all of this is a lot of hot air over nothing. Thanks for pointing
me in the right direction.

Cheers,
Johann