Hi all,

I followed the above swank-clojure instructions using both Aquamacs
and the plain emacs for Mac OS X on my Leopard Macbook.
I also tried it on an Ubuntu (Hardy) desktop.

In all of these cases the process fails when slime tries to connect to
the Lisp interpreter.

Just to be explicit, here are the steps I followed (using Linux this
time):
1. Install ELPA using http://tromey.com/elpa/install.html (No
problems)
2. Install clojure-mode using M-x package-list-packages, typing i next
to clojure-mode, and then x
There were a few warnings with this step, but clojure-mode seems to be
working afterwards.

3. Install swank-clojure using M-x package-list-packages, typing i
next to swank-clojure, and then x
There were quite a few warnings with this step.
(If I don't install clojure-mode explicitly before swank-clojure, this
step ends with an error)

4. M-x slime, answer yes when asking to install Clojure. This ends
with an error:

It looks like Clojure is not installed. Install now? (y or n)
Contacting host: repo.technomancy.us:80
Reading [text/plain]... 571k of 571k (100%)
Parsing archive file...done.
Saving file /home/andreas/.swank-clojure/swank-clojure-1.0.jar...
Wrote /home/andreas/.swank-clojure/swank-clojure-1.0.jar
byte-code: Wrong number of arguments: delete-directory, 2

Further attempts at M-x slime produces the following error, which is
probably expected since there is no clojure jar in my home dir, just
the swank clojure jar.
The error:
(require
'swank.swank)

(swank.swank/ignore-protocol-version
nil)

(swank.swank/start-server "/tmp/slime.31171" :encoding "iso-latin-1-
unix")

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: clojure/
main
clojure.main
        at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:
217)
        at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native
Method)
        at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:
205)
        at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:
323)
        at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launcher.java:
294)
        at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:
268)
        at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClassInternal(ClassLoader.java:
336)
Could not find the main class: clojure.main. Program will
exit.

Process inferior-lisp exited abnormally with code
1

On my mac I have a working clojure which I can play with using jline.
I've just never been able to get slime and Clojure going.

Any tips?

Thanks,
Andreas