On 7 Dec 2009, at 11:15, Lauri Pesonen wrote:
> 2009/12/4 Steve Purcell <st...@sanityinc.com>:
>>
>> Here's what I do (in Cocoa Emacs 23) to make 'option' work the same in Emacs
>> as in other OS X apps:
>>
>>  (setq mac-command-modifier 'meta)
>>  (setq mac-option-modifier 'none)
>>  (setq default-input-method "MacOSX")
>
> Hmm, I've tried to avoid doing this since I'm used to Option being the
> Meta key (IIRC that's the default both in Cocoa Emacs and Aquamacs).
>
> I'm just surprised how no one seems to have a good answer for this.
> I've googled for it and trawled through Stack overflow and all the
> "solutions" are all hacks. The same issue comes up in Terminal where
> in the settings you can bind Option to meta (you can then use emacsy
> meta shortcuts like meta-f forward-word in the shell), but this will
> again result in # not being available. Maybe switching to a US keymap
> is the easiest way around this... It's just surprising to me that the
> hash key, which is used in so many programming languages, is broken by
> default on OS X in the UK.

That's why I always either buy US keyboards for programming, or (better) use a
UK keyboard with a US keymap selected in OS X. Why better? Well, you get one
extra key, and the ` and ~ chars end up in a better position, next to the left
shift key.

But you still end up needing Option to get "£" etc. in regular Cocoa
applications, and since the OS X deadkey scheme is really nice, I value being
able to use that scheme in Emacs above any preferences for Emacs' Meta key.
Running Emacs in Terminal is a mess, then, as you say.

-Steve