Thanks everyone for the recommendations.

2009/12/4 Steve Purcell <st...@sanityinc.com>:

> Here's what I do (in Cocoa Emacs 23) to make 'option' work the same in Emacs
> as in other OS X apps:
>
>  (setq mac-command-modifier 'meta)
>  (setq mac-option-modifier 'none)
>  (setq default-input-method "MacOSX")

Hmm, I've tried to avoid doing this since I'm used to Option being the
Meta key (IIRC that's the default both in Cocoa Emacs and Aquamacs).

I'm just surprised how no one seems to have a good answer for this.
I've googled for it and trawled through Stack overflow and all the
"solutions" are all hacks. The same issue comes up in Terminal where
in the settings you can bind Option to meta (you can then use emacsy
meta shortcuts like meta-f forward-word in the shell), but this will
again result in # not being available. Maybe switching to a US keymap
is the easiest way around this... It's just surprising to me that the
hash key, which is used in so many programming languages, is broken by
default on OS X in the UK.

> (My full emacs config tree is here: http://github.com/purcell/emacs.d)

I'll have a look. And thanks again to everyone who replied.

--
  ! Lauri