On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 09:26:07AM -0500, Graham Fawcett wrote:

>(let [x 1
>      _ (f x)
>      y (+ x 2)
>      _ (g y)]
>  ...)

What do people in general think of this style?  I remember using this
trick a lot with O'Caml, and I've certainly used it a few times in
Clojure, but something feels icky about it.

Where it's most useful, though is with stuff like this:

   (let [x ...
         y ...
        _ (prn "y is" y)
        ...]
     ...)

I have found I sometimes find something like:

   (let [x ...
         x (... x ...)
     x)

easier to write, even if it is just how I write it the first time, and
then later change it to something looking more like function
application.  Sometimes, I've found the let-chain is easier to modify
in the future.

I guess, realizing it's still not imperative (necessarily), it
shouldn't bother me as much.

David