> +1  As cool as the new branch is, this is the first compelling reason
> I've seen to go to my boss and say we need to switch to it now.
>
> Thanks Rich!

Speaking of which... I know the new branch is where Rich publishes his
current work. Does anyone (Rich included!) have any opinion on whether
it's reasonable to do 'mainstream' development against new (rather
than working against master and occasionally testing against new)?

I currently work against master, but I keep my checkout up-to-date.

Imaginary counter-points would be "bugs that get fixed on master don't
get merged into new", "it's really only for experimentation", "it's
often broken for days at a time", "things behave differently to
master", "functions keep changing their names", "building a jar
doesn't work", etc.

I ask because I maintain a bunch of libraries and do quite a lot of
new development, and so I see a possible win/win: I get to enjoy new
improvements, but I also act as a real-world-code tester for the
community. That only applies, though, if new has a modicum of
stability and reliability.