On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 2:26 PM, Richard Newman <holyg...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> +1  As cool as the new branch is, this is the first compelling reason
>> I've seen to go to my boss and say we need to switch to it now.
>>
>> Thanks Rich!
>
> Speaking of which... I know the new branch is where Rich publishes his
> current work. Does anyone (Rich included!) have any opinion on whether
> it's reasonable to do 'mainstream' development against new (rather
> than working against master and occasionally testing against new)?
>
> I currently work against master, but I keep my checkout up-to-date.

I would not recommend doing large amounts of development against
'new'.  Things change there in ways that break compatibility with
earlier changes there (not usually with 'master' through), so if
you start using features from 'new' and keep your checkout
up-to-date, your code may break at any time without notice.

For context: I don't think I've ever recommended against using
master.

I would however recommend playing around with 'new', trying out
some of the new features on key parts of your code.  Also, it may
be very useful to try all your code on 'new' *without* taking
advantage of the new features, and reporting back on any
breakage.

You won't have to wait too long though, I suspect.  Once 1.1 is
out the door I assume 'new' will be merged into 'master' fairly
quickly.

--Chouser