On Thu, 17 Dec 2009 10:26:03 -0800 (PST)
Santhosh G R <kusim...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > You warn that you learn languages "just for the fun of it". I would be
> > curious to know how much time you spent learning Clojure...
>
> I have been working with Scheme for the past 5 years.

I think this is a critical element!

> Yep, I don't have 20+ years in development; neither 12+ months in
> Clojure. My learning of Clojure has been for the past 2-3 months.

I expect that 5 years with Scheme is worth more than 20+ years with
C/C++/Java when it comes to learning Clojure. Clojure is, after all, a
LISP dialect. Once you've gotten your mind around the proper way to
write programs in LISPy languages - which is a non-trivial thing -
adopting to another one is fairly easy. I feel that mind-set coming
back after my absence from the language as I read through the
examples.  The other unique features of Clojure should be relatively
straightforward to deal with once you've gotten past this.

> > So either you are a genius and went through Clojure faster than we
> > could, learning all the features it offers, or you just skimmed the
> > surface.
> Neither a genius, nor did I skim through.

Right. Just someone who was already familiar with programming in a
LISPy environment.

> I completely miss this. As I said "I am not a clojure developer. I am
> a programming language enthusiast and have learnt multiple languages
> with different programming paradigms; just for the fun of it.
> Programming languages which I know are Java, Python, Scheme, okie-
> dokie PERL, C# which for me is Java with a different library and
> idiom, C, C++ including the (in)famous STL, COBOL & FORTRAN purely
> because it was in my syllabus, Javascript both in its prototype and
> functional forms. I have tried to be unbiased; if it exists it might
> be due to my stronger background in Java, Python, Scheme."

Given that list of languages, I'd suggest taking a look at
Eiffel. It's imperative and statically typed, but it's a lot saner
than the C++/C#/Java languages. It has a high mechanism for dealing
with concurrency that make an interesting contrast to STM. It's the
source of the function pre/post condition facilities that Clojure has.

     <mike
--
Mike Meyer <m...@mired.org>             http://www.mired.org/consulting.html