I agree with Steven on this. As one who uses emacs and SLIME for both common
lisp and clojure, I'd like to be able to use the current SLIME HEAD for clojure
development work. I consider the fact that swank-clojure and the SLIME HEAD
don't play nicely with each other to be a deficiency of swank-clojure. It may
be that the "right" fix is to fix SLIME, but I see recommending a different
mechanism of installing SLIME (via ELPA) as the fix to be an ugly hack. My
personal hack-fix-of-choice is to check out version
3b3f604c396f0c5ceb8bc5a13fa41061bcc96184 from the slime git repo. It's true
that this is fundamentally no better than what ELPA is doing, but at least I
know what version of SLIME i need to make things work. It would be great if
swank-clojure and/or slime were fixed so that the SLIME HEAD worked with
swank-clojure.

I don't want to have to use ELPA, or maven, or some other configuration
management thing to get basic tools like an editing environment for the
language up and running. Perhaps I should just bite the bullet and use the
crazy configuration/package management things that the clojure community seems
so enamored of (ELPA, maven, leiningen, etc...), but in the way I'm used to
doing things, nothing more than the source code and a fairly simple system
definition tool (like ASDF) are enough to get things done. It's not too say
that there's room for improvement, but I like it when simple tools get the job
done and I don't need to rely on a bunch of shell scripts, to have to modify
classpaths, restart JVMs, etc... to get the code I want loaded. Perhaps I'm
just ignorant of the proper clojure-y way to do things, so I'll hop off my
soapbox now.

cyrus