I don't want to have to use ELPA, or maven, or some other configuration management thing to get basic tools like an editing environment for the language up and running. Perhaps I should just bite the bullet and use the crazy configuration/package management things that the clojure community seems so enamored of (ELPA, maven, leiningen, etc...), but in the way I'm used to doing things, nothing more than the source code and a fairly simple system definition tool (like ASDF) are enough to get things done. It's not too say that there's room for improvement, but I like it when simple tools get the job done and I don't need to rely on a bunch of shell scripts, to have to modify classpaths, restart JVMs, etc... to get the code I want loaded. Perhaps I'm just ignorant of the proper clojure-y way to do things, so I'll hop off my soapbox now.

I think I'm pretty familiar with the Clojure-y way to do things, and I also close the tab when I see "... using Maven".

My setup is:

* Installing some trivial Emacs stuff through ELPA (but not all: e.g., some packages fail to build). I'm a recent Emacs convert, so this seemed easy.
* Building swank-clojure myself.
* Installing the Emacs side myself the old-fashioned way.
* Storing my stuff in git.
* Building jars using ant.
* Launching the appropriate swank server with the right classpath using a generic 'swank-clj' script that understands the same .clojure files as my 'clj' script.

No Maven, little ELPA, no Clojure project-building scripts, nothing swank-related configured through emacs. I don't like libraries which want to download their own dependency jars: most projects on which I work integrate at least a dozen libraries, many of which share dependencies (Commons Logging, for example), and I inevitably need to manage those myself. Neither do I want a tool to download a Clojure jar for me: I manage that myself, because I want to keep up-to-date, and I need to maintain patches against contrib.

Every time I've tried to use Maven I've given up in disgust as it downloaded hundreds of megs of jars I already had, and didn't want to have to manually re-package for my company's existing deployment infrastructure.

Ah, Java.