Hi,

GOSUB raised this on IRC and I'm stumped as to the behavior, can
anyone help shed some light?
In order to reproduce he provided a leiningen project:
http://github.com/ghoseb/test-logging

Now running a REPL from those dependencies (note you can just run lein
deps; lein repl   I am just listing the jars here to show nothing to
do with lein):
~/test-logging/lib$ java -cp
clojure-1.1.0-master-20091231.150150-10.jar:clojure-contrib-1.1.0-master-20100111.160148-18.jar:log4j-1.2.14.jar
clojure.main
Clojure 1.1.0-master-SNAPSHOT
user=> (use 'clojure.contrib.logging)
nil
user=> *impl-name*
"java.util.logging"

;;;; log4j was not detected

user=> (import (java.util.logging Logger Level))
java.util.logging.Level

;;;; log4j is on the classpath! furthermore you can set log4j using
(log4j-logger) though you have to switch to the
clojure.contrib.logging namespace because it is private. That seems to
indicate util.logging was never attached (or it would throw an
exception when trying to attach log4j.

However, when I ran the same test with the latest builds from git:

$ java -cp
clojure/clojure.jar:clojure-contrib/clojure-contrib.jar:test-logging/lib/log4j-1.2.14.jar
clojure.main
Clojure 1.2.0-master-SNAPSHOT
user=> (use 'clojure.contrib.logging)
nil
user=> *impl-name*
"org.apache.log4j"

;;;; log4j as expected

Unfortunately I can't find these as snapshots so there seems to be no
lein friendly solution just yet. clojure 1.2.0-master-SNAPSHOT exists,
but not clojure-contrib 1.2.0-master-SNAPSHOT yet.

So coming back to the issue of why the strange behavior in the first
place... I looked at the git history of c.c.logging and nothing has
changed in there since Aug 19 2009, so I would have thought c.c
1.1.0-master-SNAPSHOT.jar would be current (it only just got released)
which seems to indicate something in Clojure itself has changed this
behavior.

Does anyone have any thoughts on why this is happening and whether
there is a solution?

Regards,
Tim.