are you using the repl directly? or wrapped in jline or rlwrap?

On Wed, Jan 13, 2010 at 3:02 PM, Lukas Lehner <lehner.lu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Ok, tried to put this at the top of the file, but same bad result on Win
> (System/setProperty "file.encoding"  "UTF8")
>
> and actually here
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/361975/setting-the-default-java-character-encoding
> it looks like JAVA_TOOL_OPTIONS: -Dfile.encoding=UTF8 has the same effect,
> and should be used (and I am using it)
>
> Is everybody here running macs and linuxes? :(
>
> And, more important now is actually REPL
> user=> (System/setProperty "file.encoding"  "UTF8")
> "UTF8"
> user=> "éőó"
> "�o�"
> user=>

> On 1/13/2010 11:34 PM, Kevin Downey wrote:
>>
>> java uses local settings, on windows the default encoding is some
>> godawful thing (same on Mac, still godawful, but different) set
>> file.encoding to pick something sane
>>
>> On Wed, Jan 13, 2010 at 1:52 PM, Lukas Lehner<lehner.lu...@gmail.com>
>>  wrote:
>>

>>> Hi all
>>>
>>> The clojure unicode reading, evaluating and printing was discussed
>>>  already
>>> with various results. Let me add one more, and kindly ask for advice if
>>> anyone has.
>>>
>>> OS: Windows 7
>>> clojure 1.1
>>> C:\>java -version
>>> Picked up JAVA_TOOL_OPTIONS: -Dfile.encoding=UTF8
>>> java version "1.6.0_17"
>>> Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_17-b04)
>>> Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 14.3-b01, mixed mode, sharing)
>>>
>>> chcp: 437
>>>
>>> java clojure.main
>>> user=>  éáú
>>> java.lang.Exception: Unable to resolve symbol: ��� in this context
>>> (NO_SOURCE_FILE:0)
>>>
>>> You see the problem.
>>>
>>> chcp: 65001
>>>
>>> java clojure.main
>>> user=>  éáú
>>>

>>> C:\>
>>>
>>>  In this case REPL is killed without any message
>>>

>>> File unicode-test.clj in unicode:
>>> (println (seq (.split "őúáé öüü? sdf" "\\W+")))
>>>
>>> c:\>java clojure.main unicode-test.clj
>>> Picked up JAVA_TOOL_OPTIONS: -Dfile.encoding=UTF8
>>> Exception in thread "main" java.lang.Exception: Unable to resolve symbol:
>>>
>>> in this context (unicode-test.clj:0)0)
>>>
>>> rest of the error at http://clojure.pastebin.com/m2235d7fb
>>>

>>> OS: FreeBSD 7.2
>>> clojure 1.1
>>> java -version
>>> java version "1.6.0_07"
>>> Diablo Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_07-b02)
>>> Diablo Java HotSpot(TM) Server VM (build 10.0-b23, mixed mode)
>>>
>>> locale
>>> LANG=en_US.UTF-8
>>> LC_CTYPE="en_US.UTF-8"
>>> LC_COLLATE="en_US.UTF-8"
>>> LC_TIME="en_US.UTF-8"
>>> LC_NUMERIC="en_US.UTF-8"
>>> LC_MONETARY="en_US.UTF-8"
>>> LC_MESSAGES="en_US.UTF-8"
>>> LC_ALL=en_US.UTF-8
>>>
>>> java clojure.main
>>> user=>  éőó
>>> java.lang.Exception: Unable to resolve symbol: ó�éőó in this context
>>> (NO_SOURCE_FILE:0)
>>> user=>  "éőó"
>>> "éőó"
>>> user=>  (println "éőó")
>>> éőó
>>> nil
>>> user=>  (def éőó 0)
>>> java.lang.Exception: Unable to resolve symbol: �0 in this context
>>> (NO_SOURCE_FILE:6)
>>> user=>
>>>
>>> better but still not bulletproof
>>>
>>> testing also the same script like on windows
>>> java clojure.main unicode-test.clj
>>> ( sfd)
>>>
>>> No errors :) but of course it did not split the way I wanted...
>>>

>>> Anyone having better results with unicode and encoding? Preferably on
>>> windows.
>>>

>>> Thank you in advance
>>> Lukas
>>>

>>> --

And what is good, Phaedrus,
And what is not good—
Need we ask anyone to tell us these things?