Hi,

On Feb 12, 1:06 pm, Jeff Rose <ros...@gmail.com> wrote:

> (The classpath stuff is a major annoyance though, and sometimes
> I think I have problems with using different versions of clojure.jar.)

This is possible. Since nailgun requires a named class I had to use
gen-class which ties the compiled code relatively tight to a
particular clojure version. This is solved in the latest dev version
however I haven't got to get another release out. (See also:
http://kotka.de/blog/2010/01/Why_macros_are_cool.html)

> I also get large error messages like the above though, which is extremely
> annoying.  Especially since quite often it still works after popping
> up this message.

Ironically these error message where a feature request. I provide a
stacktrace in the messages to make diagnosing the error easier.
However this is nothing more than a quick hack. I agree that I have to
rework this.

> I'll evaluate a function, and then the 'ng' process
> will peg the CPU to 100% until I kill it by hand, and then this kind
> of large error message comes up (often it looks like it lists
> everything in the namespace), and then once I 'q' the message away
> I'll see that the function I evaluated was successfully compiled and
> then I can run it fine in the repl.  This namespace has over 400
> functions (they are generated from meta-data and they represent DSP
> unit generators), and it seems like that could be a source of the
> problem, but I don't know.

Your description fits to a process generating a lot of output. May I
ask how you evaluate your function? ef? Or et?. I guess it's ef. This
will evaluate the whole file. So it fires off the generation of your
the DSP functions you mentioned. The output will look like this:

nil
#your.name.space/foo
#your.name.space/bar
#your.name.space/baz

This takes some time. You kill the ng process which basically kills
the evaluation somewhere in the middle. Because of the killed process
Vim thinks that something went wrong. Hence it will display the error
message. Unfortunately there is only one channel between Vim and the
outside world: the temporary file storing the process output. Normally
that's the normal process output (like above). If an error happened,
it will be the error message with the stacktrace. In our case however
nothing bad happened. So the already collected output file be attached
as "error message". It should look like the above with spaces instead
of newlines.

If this is the case, please use et or get a cup of coffee and wait
till the process finishes. I can't do much more, because these are
limitations of Vim itself.

> I recently tried getting the latest version of the plugin from source
> control, but now that there isn't a build.xml file included it is even
> more troublesome to do an install.  I tried installing groovy and
> whatever the new build script needs, but it failed and I got too
> annoyed to continue.

You need only Gradle (self-contained) and clojuresque (on
clojars.org). Kresimir Sojat was kind enough to provide a short shell
script, which sets up a running dev version of VC with a single
command. I will include it in the next release.

> How about leiningen?  I know it's not feature
> full yet, but the way it will get there is by using it...

Leiningen does not fit my needs. And I don't want different build
systems for my projects.

> All that said, I have been using VimClojure virtually every day since
> the first gorilla releases, so I am extremely grateful that you've put
> in the work to create this.  Thanks!

Thanks for being "loyal" for so long. :)

Sincerely
Meikel