I'll give the newbie perspective, which given as I did not really know
what I was doing may involve several false assumptions but will
provide insight into the thinking of a newbie, which may be a hard
frame of mind for experts to imagine.

Firstly when you are new you just want to get something working fast.
I didn't want some snazzy dev environment to wrestle with, I just
wanted some syntax highlighting and maybe some code completion.

The first thing you do is look for recent news on enclojure,
vimClojure etc, and they all looked to be several months old. You
always wonder whether people have moved on, worried Netbeans will be
discontinued by Oracle etc or whatever. So for cutting edge projects
releases or at least news every 6 weeks or so are needed to convince
people the project in still in development.

I looked at all of them and would have liked to go with VIM as I am a
VIM user. For VIM it looked like I was going to have to go though some
elaborate procedure (there was a webcast for it) rather than just
stuff a config file in a directory so I decided to leave off that
until support got built into the standard Ubuntu VIM release (debian
or whatever).

I tried enclojure with the latest netbeans and got a pile of errors so
gave up.

I tried the emacs mode and didn't get very far, largely because of my
lack of emacs knowledge.

Then I realised trusty old jedit had an clojure mode, which worked out
of the box bar one small change in the patterns file (it needed
prodding to map .clj to the clojure mode)

So there I was with some pretty decent syntax formatting from jedit,
the clojure and clojure contrib jars on my classpath and wow the REPL
worked. I could type stuff in, I could test functions I was away.
Yippee.

That's all a newbie with a weekend to spare wants. When I get more
experience of clojure and what my personal pain points and time
consuming things are then I might try some of the more elaborate dev
environments again to see if they help.

So to answer your question a  - be up and running with minimal fuss in
three minutes with perhaps not all the bells and whistles 'Getting
started' page - would be a real help to cater for one section of the
community.