Daniel <cotter.dan...@gmail.com> writes:

> Am I going about this the wrong way? Is there an easier way to explore
> existing open-source projects? I

Try this for any leiningen project (check for the existence of a
project.clj file).  I'm assuming you're using a unixy operating system.

First and once-off, install leiningen:

  wget http://github.com/technomancy/leiningen/raw/stable/bin/lein
  chmod a+x lein
  ./lein self-install

Clone target project (in this case Compojure):

  git clone git://github.com/weavejester/compojure.git
  cd compojure

Ask Lein to download Compojure's dependencies (this includes Clojure,
you don't need to it install it manually):

  ../lein deps

Fire up a repl:

  ../lein repl

  Clojure 1.1.0
  user=> (use 'compojure.core)
  nil

Alternatively if you're using Java 6 you can start the REPL without any
wrapper script pretty easily.  I prefer to do it this way as it makes it
obvious what the classpath is and allows tweaking the JVM options (for
example increasing the memory limit with -Xmx256m).

  java -cp 'lib/*:classes:src' clojure.main

  Clojure 1.1.0
  user=> (use 'compojure.core)
  nil

> Is there a less cumbersome way to get a load of files on the classpath
> than manually editing the .clojure file?

Note the wildcard 'lib/*' notation I used above.  This was added in Java
6.  Be aware that it has to be some/directory/* not *.jar, foo* or any
other variation.  Put it in single quotes to make sure your shell
doesn't try and expand it.  It'll add any jar files found in the
directory to the classpath.

Hope that helps.

Alex