On 10/04/2010, at 12:24 AM, Graham Fawcett wrote:

> Your building/installation instructions are a bit on the terse side,
> and left this Maven newbie in trial-and-error-land. :)

I haven't written any instructions, but yes, the instructions on the project
aren't extensive. And the documentation that is on the sonatype site for
clojure support is out of date because I don't yet have write access to the
wiki yet. Sorry, I know software without good documentation is only half done.

> Particularly
> this statement confused me, because I don't know what an "assembly
> play" is, or why I'd want one:
>
>  After this completes, you can unzip the assembly play with polyglot
>  maven:
>
>  unzip pmaven-cli/target/pmaven-*-bin.zip
>  ./pmaven-cli*/bin/mvn
>
> Or did you mean "unzip the assembly, and play with polyglot maven"?

Yes. Actually, this is a bad use of the term because 'assembly' means something
specific in maven land i.e. the assembly plugin that does Leiningen uberjar
kind of things (on steroids, of course).

> After trial-and-erroring, I gathered that after unzipping I ended up
> with a 'polyglot maven' directory whose 'bin/mvn' could be used to run
> tasks like 'mvn -f project.clj'. I assume that the Maven 2 instance I
> used to build polyglot-maven is not modified in any way (e.g. it
> wasn't retooled to be able to run 'mvn -f project.clj'). Is that
> correct?

No it doesn't touch existing maven installations, polyglot maven currently
includes maven 3.0 alpha 7.

> To use this on an ongoing basis, should I should unzip polyglot-maven
> somewhere stable, and then just add the new 'polylot-maven/bin' to my
> PATH? (That may seem a silly question, but maybe there's a more
> Mavenish way to do these things, and I just don't know about it.)

No, that's right. Although be aware that there are a few things that Maven 3.0
isn't backward compatible with yet. In particular I can't use the Atlassian
plugin.

> One last point -- I tried 'mvn -f project.clj' on one of my existing
> Leiningen projects, and it failed because the project.clj contained
> some clauses that Polyglot Maven didn't expect (:main, :compile-path).
> These may not be relevant in a Maven build, but it would be nice if
> they could exist in the project.clj file without causing an error when
> using your tool. You've gone so far with Leiningen support already,
> this would be a valuable next step.

Yes, the extensive and complete Leiningen documentation indicates that there
are a number of things not covered in my defproject macro :) I waver between
thinking I should ignore properties I don't understand and wanting to deal with
everything I possibly can, by treating unknowns as errors because you never
know when that unknown property really is important. OTOH, I don't deal with
Leiningen plugins and have no plans to, so maybe in this case "ignorance is
bliss" is the best strategy.

Antony Blakey