Hi Antony,

On Fri, Apr 9, 2010 at 11:10 AM, Antony Blakey <antony.bla...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 10/04/2010, at 12:24 AM, Graham Fawcett wrote:
>
>> Your building/installation instructions are a bit on the terse side,
>> and left this Maven newbie in trial-and-error-land. :)
>
> I haven't written any instructions, but yes, the instructions on the
> project aren't extensive. And the documentation that is on the
> sonatype site for clojure support is out of date because I don't yet
> have write access to the wiki yet. Sorry, I know software without
> good documentation is only half done.

No worries! It's an early release, and I'm happy that you didn't wait
to announce the software for lack of documentation. Hopefuly the
feedback you get from the list might help you to (eventually) write
some documentation for the Clojure-oriented (and Maven-disoriented!)
audience.

>> To use this on an ongoing basis, should I should unzip polyglot-maven
>> somewhere stable, and then just add the new 'polylot-maven/bin' to my
>> PATH? (That may seem a silly question, but maybe there's a more
>> Mavenish way to do these things, and I just don't know about it.)
>
> No, that's right. Although be aware that there are a few things that
> Maven 3.0 isn't backward compatible with yet. In particular I can't
> use the Atlassian plugin.

OK, thanks for clarifying this.

>> One last point -- I tried 'mvn -f project.clj' on one of my existing
>> Leiningen projects, and it failed because the project.clj contained
>> some clauses that Polyglot Maven didn't expect (:main, :compile-path).
>> These may not be relevant in a Maven build, but it would be nice if
>> they could exist in the project.clj file without causing an error when
>> using your tool. You've gone so far with Leiningen support already,
>> this would be a valuable next step.
>
> Yes, the extensive and complete Leiningen documentation indicates
> that there are a number of things not covered in my defproject macro
> :) I waver between thinking I should ignore properties I don't
> understand and wanting to deal with everything I possibly can, by
> treating unknowns as errors because you never know when that unknown
> property really is important. OTOH, I don't deal with Leiningen
> plugins and have no plans to, so maybe in this case "ignorance is
> bliss" is the best strategy.

That's a good point. I've only been a casual Leiningen user, so I
can't comment much on the tradeoffs, but I respect that you don't want
to get too deep into Leiningen-compatibility waters. In the short
term, consider documenting that some project.clj clauses may cause
build errors.

Best,
Graham