On 2010 Apr 28, at 6:55 PM, Stuart Halloway wrote:
Specializations are available where there is a clear use case, e.g. contains?, peek (instead of last), disj, etc.
Tying to concrete types is limiting. *Never* having special purpose fns that know about performance characteristics is also limiting.

contains?/seq-contains? mark a divide where it is very easy for a language to quietly help programmers do the wrong thing.

Such as littering my application code with type-checks to decide if it should call contains? or seq-contains?
That seems exactly the wrong thing to do.

Please explain how making seq-contains? fast for sets and maps is wrong (exactly how does it violate some contract and what contract, explicitly is that a violation of) and application code type checking is right, because I really don't understand why making seq-contains? fast isn't just a huge win-win.

-Doug