On 2010 Apr 28, at 6:06 PM, Meikel Brandmeyer wrote:
Ah, ok. I misunderstood what you were saying. But I think it doesn't
change the argumentation. If seq-contains? was fast on maps and sets,
people would abandon contains? because seq-contains? is "always right": works on seqs, fast on maps and sets. And again we are in the situation,
that the developer does not make his intentions explicit.

What is the intention to be made exlicit here? That some sequences are better than others? (car/cdr/list from old-school lisps were exactly this kind of thinking, whether deliberate or not.)

How is it a developer is supposed to say: "only use a set or map" here?
I'm new enough to Clojure that I'm not clear on how duck-type-y the idioms are.
Should I use assert to make my intention clear?
raise an exception?
just call some function that cares and expect that it will either assert or raise for me? Isn't this just the kind of thing that protocols are for? Again, I think Stuarts video example with reduce is quite apropos. For certain things, we can make some operations faster, and we can do it, post- facto, wihin clojure itself.

-Doug