As far as I can tell, clj-sandbox works by a set whitelist of
arbitrary functions, which is not a very generic approach. It works
for sandboxes like clojurebot, but not for other stuff.

A restricted eval in all likelihood will not refer directly to
clojure.core, and it's much better allowing the caller to specify by
namespaces which functions are accessible. Maybe in the future
clojure.core functions could be tagged depending on whether they are
purely-functional or have side-effects, and a caller to a restricted
eval will be able to automatically generate a new "safe-core"
namespace based on this division.