Actors in Erlang DO have mutable state, you're just discouraged from
using it. ;) No really, erl -man get and set. Sometimes you're forced
to use this despite the best of intentions.

But I really have to ask, how composable were monads again?

- dlf

On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 3:04 AM, Peter Schuller
<peter.schul...@infidyne.com> wrote:
>> far as i know..actors share a mutable queue.. so there's good possibility
>> for dead-locks
>
> Actors as they work in erlang don't have mutable state (not
> intrinsically anyway, though of course you can implement an actor that
> does poke on shared data since it's your code). The 'state' in an
> erlang actor is that of parameter(s) to an infinitely tail-recursive
> function.
>
> Deadlock in a message passing system is still possible if you limit
> the mailbox size (unless some other means are used to prevent it). My
> understanding is that mailbox size is not limited in erlang, and that
> there is no other means to avoid deadlock, meaning that while you will
> not deadlock in the message passing system you can cause memory
> exhaustion.
>
> Disclaimer: While I've played with erlang I'm not really that into it,
> please correct me someone if I've misrepresented anything.
>
> --
> / Peter Schuller

Dave Fayram
dfay...@gmail.com