There are really only two mainstream options SWT and Swing.  Both will
suffice.

I preferred SWT just because I like the Eclipse project. As you know
SWT is the core GUI library behind SWT.  I just feel that SWT has more
large applications developed, Eclipse, azureus

Swing can be frustrating for the most basic things like working with
the layout manager and non-blocking calls.

SWT provides mature widgets like the Web Browser widget, the text
editor (JFaces), the calendar widget.

But yea, Swing does work out of the box, cross platform.

I am not really a GUI desktop developer, I like SWT slightly more but
I do some quick apps with Swing.