On Jun 10, 2010, at 7:55 AM, Rick Moynihan wrote:

On 10 June 2010 12:32, Chas Emerick <cemer...@snowtide.com> wrote:
Thanks very much, esp. for the 'nice looking' compliment.  I've heard
otherwise as well, so we'll have to see what happens when I get a "real" designer in to take a crack at things -- not a super-high priority at the moment, since the site is usable without wincing, at the very least :-)
Anyway, the frontend and job processing apparatus consists of:
- Clojure
- Compojure
- Enlive
- Clutch to interface to CouchDB (which we abuse as a message queue, among
other things)
- jquery + a few plugins
- YUI only for the file uploading + a pile of js/html/css to make a
reasonable queue UI
The actual document processing consists of a fork of PDFTextStream (which currently sits at a mix of ~80/20 Java/clojure, with the latter number reliably climbing), plus a helluva lot of other Clojure bits. I suspect that, for the purposes of DocuHarvest, I'll never have to write any Java (although ironically, I may end up having to write some C, unless someone
comes up with a native Clojure backend in the next few months!).
Cheers,
- Chas

Great to see another commercial outfit using Clojure!!

Out of interest is there anything in the domain of document processing
that made Clojure a natural choice for you and your team?

Snowtide has been using Clojure since mid 2008, actually. :-)

There's a lot of reasons Clojure was chosen. In short, it's the only JVM language that has the right mix of performance, raw materials for sane data modeling (i.e. literals and macros), and development culture I believed was necessary to build what I've had in mind to build for a long time now. You'll perhaps begin to see where the 'modeling' portion of things comes into play w/ DocuHarvest as its capabilities grow.

- Chas