I don't think that Structure and Interpretion of Computer Programs is
a good first-book if you want to start lisp-programming (Especially
Clojure). It's very detailed and gives much insights, but Clojure is
way more practical than this book. If you want to start programming
Clojure, I'd recommend "Pragmatic Programming Clojure" or "The Joy of
Clojure" (Even when JoC isn't finished yet).

To your original question: That's a hard piece of code to start with.
I'd recommend firing up a repl and trying with this instead of this
template you've mentioned.

On Sun, Jun 13, 2010 at 6:25 PM, David Nolen <dnolen.li...@gmail.com> wrote:
> If your are new to programming I recommend reading at least the first
> three chapters of The Structure and Interpretation of Computer
> Programs. It's available online.
>
> David
>
> On Friday, June 11, 2010, Jared <tri...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> I'm 100% new to LISP, 95% new to Java, and 90% new to programming in
>> general. Where and how would you recommend learning Clojure? I'm
>> planning on buying Programming Clojure, but until then what would you
>> suggest?
>>
>> I got Netbeans working with Clojure and the default template is this:
>>
>> (comment
>> Sample clojure source file
>> )
>> (ns com.yourcompany.defpackage
>>     (:gen-class))
>>
>> (defn -main
>>     ([greetee]
>>   (println (str "Hello " greetee "!")))
>>   ([] (-main "world")))
>>
>> It ran and printed "Hello world!". Can anyone explain to me in detail
>> what each statement means. I'm particularly confused by:
>>
>> (comment
>> Sample clojure source file
>> )
>>
>> I thought all comments began with ; ? I understand what println does
>> and that's it.
>>
>> Thanks in advance everyone.
>>
>> --

Moritz Ulrich