I've spent a number of years looking for a functional programming
language suitable for the kind of work I do.  evaluating Clojure,
Haskell, Erlang, Scala, F#, Mozart, ML, Clean, Racket, and probably
some others I'm not thinking about right now.  For me, once Clojure
hit 1.0 status, it was clearly the best choice for my purposes.  Scala
is probably my second choice, but I think there's a chance it would be
my first if I were working on a large team -- I have an unfounded
opinion that static typing can be especially useful for ensuring that
components produced by different individuals get properly linked up.
But as a solo developer, I feel great about my decision to use
Clojure.

So to answer your question, yes, a lot of us have spent time
evaluating many languages and agonizing over which is the best one for
our purposes.  Try the languages that interest you, and decide for
yourself.