On Jun 18, 11:56 pm, cageface <milese...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Unfortunately there seems to be a lot more commercial momentum for
> Scala though. It's still a blip compared to the mainstream languages
> but I'm seeing more and more job posts mentioning it, and hardly any
> for Clojure. I don't think Scala is a bad language overall, but I'm
> not sure I'd dump Ruby for it. On the other hand, I can imagine
> migrating most of my dev work over to Clojure with the right project.
> Has anybody else wrestled with this choice? Any thoughts?

I started playing with Scala before I decided to make a long term
commitment to learning and using Clojure. I think Scala is both
exciting and awesome. The only thing that bothered me about it was the
community's choice of a two space indent (its very tiring to look
after a few hours).

I ended up choosing Clojure for my own needs because the availability
of macros and I enjoy programming in Clojure more than other
languages. Personally I feel big corporate style projects destroy a
language - I've seen simple elegant Java code but the culture went in
a different direction entirely. So I personally would be happier if
Scala goes mainstream and Clojure doesn't.

The really cool thing though, is that with the JVM, Clojure and Scala
can interoperate.

Saul