As Rich has mentioned a couple times, though, let's be careful not to
conflate "bounded integers" with "unsafe integers." In the proposed
system, an overflowing number would throw an exception. Presumably the
documentation would make it very clear what the behavior of numbers
is. That's not unsafe or unexpected in any way, even for a dynamic
language, it's just different.

The only thing that sends shivers down my spine is *requiring*
knowledge of casting and type hinting. I don't think that's
appropriate to demand of someone new to Clojure. Let them learn to
enjoy Clojure first, before showing them the ugly underbelly of what's
sometimes necessary for performance.

-Luke