On Jun 18, 9:52 am, rob levy <r.p.l...@gmail.com> wrote:
> As an informal survey of people who use both Clojure and Common Lisp for
> different projects, what do you see as the main determining factors behind
> your choice to use either Clojure or Common Lisp for a project, given the
> present state of Clojure.  Let's only assume we are talking about projects
> you completely own and have complete freedom to do what you want with.

At this point, Clojure is my default choice for new projects. If there
isn't a compelling reason to do a project in a another language, I use
Clojure.

It doesn't take very much practical pressure to get me to use Common
Lisp instead; I still like it nearly as much as Clojure, and there are
still things I like better about it.

It takes much more practical pressure to get me to use something other
than Clojure or Common Lisp. I do like Haskell very much, and wouldn't
squawk if some reason to use it for a project cropped up. I even have
a personal project I'm doing in Haskell for reasons that aren't
relevant to this topic.

So how do I make the choice between Clojure and Common Lisp? It's a
little hard to answer clearly. As I say, Clojure is my default choice.
Basically, if there is some reason I'd prefer not to rely on the JVM,
or if there's something about the particular project that makes me
want features that a favorite Common Lisp implementation has and
Clojure or the JVM doesn't, then I use Common Lisp.

Both Clojure and Common Lisp are decent approximations to an imaginary
Lisp that is my favorite programming language. They're closer to that
imaginary language than anything except a long-extinct version of
Dylan.