On 26 Giu, 07:53, rob levy <r.p.l...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > It can (but its startup is slow, currently). May I ask you why you
> > wouldn't want to use it?
>
> One reason is that from what little I know about ABCL it seems more
> straightforward working with Java libraries in Clojure, but also there is a
> huge amount of enthusiasm and energy going into Clojure, whereas with ABCL
> the developer is more on their own, with less eyes on the code, smaller
> community of users, etc.  That and I enjoy lots of other things about
> Clojure, and want to use it, so playing with two JVM Lisps seems a little
> redundant and it becomes an either/or proposition for me.  But I think I
> would use it if there was something written common lisp thing that I wanted
> to integrate into some other JVM-based thing, why not?  I haven't had that
> experience but it seems like it could happen.

Fair enough, thanks for sharing your ideas.

[snip]
> > I use Common Lisp because that's the Lisp I know. I'm interested in
> > Clojure because it has put some nice ideas on the table, but currently
> > I see no reason to use it outside heavily parallelism-oriented
> > applications, especially given that ABCL is there and it offers a nice
> > combination of CL with Java libraries. OTOH, I think that for the
> > average Java developer Clojure is probably friendlier.
>
> Concurrency is not very developed at all in Common Lisp, which could be a
> major point against it going forward, but I'm sure people will remedy that,
> as Lisp is always a good laboratory for adding new things to the language as
> libraries etc.  Of course in the case of Clojure the interesting new ideas
> didn't come from CL, though many good old ideas did.  CL people should
> probably study and consider Clojure's innovations in this case.

Concurrency is not developed at all in the ANSI Common Lisp standard,
but if you look at the various implementations (especially the
commercial ones) you'll see that is quite developed. Of course there's
not the focus on it that Clojure has, and CL being somewhat less
functional than Clojure (and Scheme) does not help in that regard.
Clojure has really filled a nice niche and it's great to see a Lisp
dialect be so (relatively) popular.