On Sat, Jun 26, 2010 at 4:04 AM, Rich Hickey <richhic...@gmail.com> wrote:
> equiv, the revenge of num

Has it already been decided that some sort of this new numeric tower
will find its way into Clojure?

Personally, I think this change will open a can of worms and make
programming in Clojure more difficult and error prone.

I don't think there is a nice and clean solution to the numeric
problem (Clojure is not the first language tackling it) but there are
two possibilities that could produce an acceptable trade off:
- using boxed math everywhere and optimizing performance by storing
preallocated Integers in a cache,
- using both boxed and primitive math but keeping the boundary between
them as explicit as possible (different operators, no automatic
conversion etc.). Existing operators should default to boxed math (for
runtime safety and compatibility).

Andrzej