On Jun 30, 5:19 am, Michael Richter <ttmrich...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 30 June 2010 11:15, cageface <milese...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Jun 29, 6:25 pm, Michael Richter <ttmrich...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Are you *trying* to evoke the "Smug Lisp Weenie" vibe, cageface, or is
> > this
> > > just a natural byproduct of being a burgeoning Smug Clojure Weenie?
>
> > How many times do I have to say I'm in favor of making things as easy
> > as possible for beginners before I'm exempt from this charge?
>
> You're exempt from this "charge" (I view it more as a "trivially obvious
> observation" myself) when you stop talking like a Smug Lisp Weenie.
>
> Hint: you're not coming across as a Smug Lisp Weenie because of the "make it
> as easy as possible for beginners" portion of your posts.

I'm a CLer, and I've been following Clojure's development for a while,
though I haven't used it yet. I agree that the answers you get from
experienced CLers sometimes contain a fair amount of smugness;
however, I suspect that the questions also play a role here... how
often are Java, C#, C++ people asked "why is Java/C#/C++ so hard for
newbies"? How do you think they'll answer the nth time that question
is made?
I also follow comp.lang.java.programmer for example: if you look at
there, most newbie questions are like "why doesn't such-and-such
work?" and are routinely answered along the lines of "first, sit down
and code a self-contained example of the problem, then post it here,
then, and only then, maybe someone will answer" - and no one
complains. Oh, and no one asks why Java is so hard, either. And Java
*is* hard, no matter what people think.
I suspect that's because most people who learn Java do so as part of
their job, they accept it's hard and spend a fair amount of time in
learning it. People who learn Lisp often do so in their free time, and
aren't prepared to spend time studying. That doesn't mean that a one-
click-install for a Lisp with an IDE and some popular libraries
preinstalled wouldn't be useful - it would be great! But who is going
to maintain it? If you pay me well enough, I'll do it, I promise :)
but until then, no one will do it unless he is so interested in having
a newbie-friendly Lisp that he'll spend part of his free time for
that. Are you that individual?

Cheers,
Alessio