2010/7/19 Peter Schuller <peter.schul...@infidyne.com>

> > Users of Emacs / swank, vimClojure (etc.), please speak ! Share with us
> your
> > workflows, why you think the goal I'm trying to achieve is good or not,
> so
> > that we could think of better workflows to provide to IDE users if it
> seems
> > appropriate.
>
> To the limited extent that I've developed with Slime (and this goes
> for both Common Lisp and clojure), one annoyance I have perceived is
> de-normalization of the image/running repl. While having a running
> live repl is great in many ways, when it comes specifically to
> developing your "files on disk" code, I tend to want my testing
> environment to be as normalized as possible with respect to my source
> code. So for example, ideally the removal of a function from a
> namespace in the code would be reflected when reloading/recompiling
> that file.
>
> I understand why this doesn't happen automatically by default
> (reloading just re-sets or adds what's defined in the file), in an
> ideal world that is something that I'd like an IDE to "somehow" get
> around. If it is possible to do that while at the same time allowing
> my nice dynamic repl to be active, so much the better.
>
> Examples of things affected in practice:
>
> * (deftest ...) which mutates the vars in the namespace; removal of
> tests don't "stick"
> * moving functions between namespaces; things can either break for
> bogus reasons or *not* break for bogus reasons that you don't notice
> until you run 'mvn test' (or similar) separately
>
> I also sympathize and agree that it can be hugely problematic if an
> environment stomps on your carefully prepared REPL in ways you don't
> expect. I'm not sure how to best reconcile these two concerns.

Yes, that's currently the most important point I'd missed so far. So I think
IDEs may not simply have to provide "white/black" behaviour concerning
dynamic feature, but also a middle path (though I guess by reading the
comments that I may still make the default behaviour be "automatically
reload", and for people wanting the maximum safety, "don't automatically
reload").