On Jul 20, 2010, at 4:15 AM, Laurent PETIT wrote:

> Oh, maybe I understand: by "partial drafts", you mean "pseudo-code", directly
> written in clojure, is it this ?
>
> If there was a shortcut key to quickly wrap/unwrap a top level defn with
> (comment), and if the keyboard shortcut for "evaluate top level form in the
> REPL" would be smart enough to detect top level comment and send to the REPL
> the unwrapped form, would it help you ?
> That way, your files would visually show the "pseudo-code" parts (those
> within comments), and your namespaces will remain in a loadable shape,
> eventually relieving you from manually load your project "piece by piece"
> every time you must restart a REPL ?

Laurent,

This strikes me as an instance (somewhat like structure-based editing :-0) in
which you are being admirably clever, but in which simplicity and clarity and
obviousness can be more helpful than even very clever cleverness.

I can't speak for Johannes but sometimes my broken stuff is pseudocode,
sometimes it's just incomplete, sometimes it's English or abbreviations, etc.
Sometimes I plan to come back to it in a minute before evaluating it (but I may
want to save in the meantime anyway), while sometimes I may want to evaluate it
even if I know it's broken because I want to see how the system thinks it's
broken in particular.

All of this works fine as long as the system evaluates what I tell it to
evaluate and leaves it alone otherwise. Automatic evaluation disrupts this and
adding more complexity to locally disable the automatic evaluation in some
cases, and then even more complexity to get the system TO evaluate that stuff
anyway (even if it's marked as a comment!) when the user says to evaluate the
file, is just making things that could be simple and clear and obvious really
confusing.

 -Lee

School of Cognitive Science, Hampshire College
893 West Street, Amherst, MA 01002-3359
lspec...@hampshire.edu, http://hampshire.edu/lspector/
Phone: 413-559-5352, Fax: 413-559-5438

Check out Genetic Programming and Evolvable Machines:
http://www.springer.com/10710 - http://gpemjournal.blogspot.com/