On Aug 24, 8:48 am, Stuart Halloway <stuart.hallo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Aug 24, 6:44 am, Stuart Halloway <stuart.hallo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Clojure 1.3's performance improvements will significantly impact perf on
> >> some of the benchmarks. If you are trying these out, please try them on
> >> both 1.2 and 1.3.
>
> > Has Clojure 1.3 been released?
>
> No, but since the num/prim/equiv work specifically targets performance, we
> want to collect people's experiences comparing 1.2 and 1.3. This is totally
> separate from the benchmark submission process and for our own information.
>
> >> Also: the benchmarks are totally a numbers game: throw idioms and
> >> readability out the window. Clojure 1.3 should be able to match Java
> >> performance if you basically write Java-in-Clojure.  On Clojure 1.2 you
> >> will have to do stranger things to get there.
>
> > If you choose to throw idioms and readability out the window then
> > don't be surprised at the comments that will be made about Clojure.
>
> Let me reduce the stridency of my previous statement: "throwing things out
> the window" is too strong. Benchmarks are a numbers contest, not a beauty
> contest. But, there's no saying the resulting programs will be ugly (or even
> non-idiomatic). Try things. Measure. It is simply the case that some
> idiomatic code (i.e. numeric code with no hints in the body) is faster in
> master/1.3 than in 1.2, and that some benchmark-useful things (fns
> taking/returning primitives) are available only post 1.2.

Well when Clojure 1.3 is released...

The phrase "idiomatic code" often seems to be used to mean - code
written in a natural way for that language and as if performance
doesn't matter - whereas I seem to have the strange notion that both
code written as if performance matters and code written as if
performance doesn't matter can be  "idiomatic code".

http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/u32q/program.php?test=spectralnorm&lang=ghc&id=2

http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/u32q/program.php?test=spectralnorm&lang=ghc&id=4