Well, you seem to describe a problem with the m2eclipse plugin, which
may not have recognized the project as a maven project. This is a
third party plugin, hard to help with this.

Alternatively, could you try the (still experimental) labrepl support
ccw offers ?

Go to File > New > Examples > Other > Clojure examples > xxx labrepl xxx.

Don't be afraid if the installation takes a long time, labrepl has
lots of dependencies to dowload.

(note: on Mac OS, maybe the top menu to reach is not named File, but
under Eclipse > File ?)