Docstrings seem designed for fairly terse comments about the nature of
the function.  It's great for providing little hints about how the
function works to jog one's memory by typing (doc ...) in the REPL, or
for searching with find-doc.  But I just don't think I can fit the
kind of full documentation I want all into a docstring without ruining
its REPL usefulness.

My instinct is to put those sorts of things into comments. I think
adding a huge Clojure metadata map in front of the var would hinder
code readability.  Hmmm, I wonder if maybe there would be a way to use
a macro to add metadata to the var separate from the function?  E.g.,
(document my-function metadata)  That might make the metadata approach
more palatable...

As a side note, I wish Clojure had some sort of block commenting
capability.  Both (comment ...) and #_ require well formed code to
follow and sometimes it's just nice to be able to comment out a block
of text.