On Thu, 9 Sep 2010 09:06:49 -0700
Phil Hagelberg <p...@hagelb.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 9, 2010 at 8:38 AM, Mike Meyer
> <mwm-keyword-googlegroups.620...@mired.org> wrote:
> > And two tools - lein and clojure itself.
> I'm not sure Clojure should be counted separately since you're not
> installing it yourself.

Installation isn't the issue, use is the issue. I have to run or
interact with clojure at some point. Since the same is true for any
implementation language, it could be dropped as well.

> > So we go from 3, 0, 1 to 6, 4, 2. I'm not sure that qualifies as
> > simple, but at least there's less boilerplate for the tools than there
> > is actual source code.
> Really I think your complaint boils down to not being able to modify
> the classpath at runtime. If the JVM had a real load-path like other
> lisps offer then this would be enough:
>
> (use 'ring.adapter.jetty 'ring.util.response)
> (run-jetty (constantly (response "hello world"))
>                {:port 8080 :join? false})
>
> ...and we're back to three lines.

Yes, that would help. But I'm not sure that means I wouldn't have to
use lein at all? And it's more the "more lines of config than source"
than the lines of source that's an issue.

> Now I'm not defending the fact that the classpath is fixed at
> JVM-launch time--it's an awful hack that is an embarrassment to the
> awesome engineering prowess that has gone in to other parts of the
> JVM. But we do have tools to work around that flaw, and it's good to
> recognize the root of the problem rather than its symptoms.

Fair enough. But having to use those tools is what keeps simple things
from being simple.

     <mike
--
Mike Meyer <m...@mired.org>             http://www.mired.org/consulting.html